Saturday 12 February 2011

The Secret of Really Good Teaching

I am an Advanced Skills Teacher and arrogant and conceited enough to believe I am a really good teacher.  The thing is, I don't believe I have any special talent or ability that makes me special, gifted or particularly suited to teaching.  I just work really hard at it!
I believe that the secret to really good teaching is dead simple - planning.  After 21 years I still plan every lesson.   I like lesson planning.  I feel it is a creative process: putting together a good, purposeful, inspiring lesson to me is not that different from an artist painting a picture, a musician playing a tune or a writer penning a story.
Four of my last five lesson observations have been rated "Outstanding" - and the fact that one of them wasn't hurt like hell.  I do a lot of INSETsessions with teachers on VAKD and teaching strategies and often get the response "Oh but you can't be outstanding and all singing and dancing every lesson".  And I think - why not?  Who says you can't?  I do plan every lesson with the intention that it will be an outstanding lesson.  I go into the room, every lesson, with the intention that it will be outstanding.  Of course - it isn't every lesson - but should that stop me from trying for it?
I know that lesson planning takes time.  It should be the number one priority for every teacher when they are not actually in the classroom, teaching.  I have met very few lazy teachers.  The vast majority of us work really hard and like working hard - we generally have a very positive work ethic - but we all have only a certain number of hours that we can devote to the job.  I believe that the bulk of that time should be spent on planning - not other things.
If a teacher is not planning their lessons, the school should ask the question: "What is stopping them?"  If it is because they don't know how to plan outstanding lessons - then help them.  Give them more time and match them up with other teachers.  If it is because they are too busy doing other things related to school - take that other work away.  What is more likely to improve the educational experience of a child on Monday morning? The hour Mr F spent planning the lesson or the hour he spent analysing data, writing reports, doing marking or planning strategy?  The biggest single factor in improving a child's performance in school is the teacher planning and delivering outstanding lessons more often.  Just think how amazing schools would be if 75% of all lessons every day were outstanding.  If I can be outstanding - anyone can.  They just have to be prepared to work at it.
Oh - and if a teacher is not planning their lessons because they believe they don't need to - get them out of this profession.  They don't deserve to be in it and our children deserve better.

No comments:

Post a Comment