Monday 14 March 2011

Models of Understanding

I stole this idea from Mike Hughes - I am a thief but I am an honest one.  I always admit when I am stealing ideas.
I like activities which utilise what kids will do anyway.  Have you ever marveled at just how much junk kids carry in their bags?  And how they want to empty it out all over the table too?  This activity gives them the freedom to do that but also develops creativity and enhances understanding by helping them personalise information.
Give students 7 minutes to make a free-standing model using whatever is on the table, in their pockets or in their bags.  Give them a key word, idea, personality, event or group that the model must represent.  Usually you get a minute or two of confused muttering and emptying of bags before someone comes up with an idea that someone else copies, picks up or adds to.  Everytime I have done this I have been amazed at what kids come up with.
Today I did this activity as a starter with 2 Yr9 groups.  We were looking at the main themes of Nazi propaganda.  I gave each group a theme on a strip of paper that they had to keep secret from other groups, build their models and then see if other groups could guess their theme.

This was "Breaking Free"


"Heroes" - sadly Justin Bieber gets everywhere



This one is "Strength" - well it made sense to them!

Great fun as a starter and one that has loads of replay value.

No comments:

Post a Comment