Sunday 23 October 2011

Half Term Review

So - we got to half-term.  I have to admit I have really enjoyed this half-term.  It has been frantic at times and I can't believe where the time has gone but overall it has been great.  I really like all the groups I am working with this year and have loved the new school day with tutors delivering PSHE - I love my tutor group and it is great to work with them, and making me a little sad as they are Year 11 and I don't want them to leave.
At the beginning of term I set myself some targets and thought it might be worth having a look at how I have got on so far.

 1. Use lots of new technology. 
Lots of work with edmodo this term and got more teachers trying it out.  Just set up a new edmodo group for revision - the hope is to get all of Yr 11 onto it in the next half-term and use it as the 1st step for students to get revision advice.  Ideally they will start giving each other advice
2.  Audioboo lessons - did lesson reviews for most GCSE lessons but haven't done quite as many as I would like.  Still having a bit of a problem persuading school to unfilter audioboo.  I have used it with great effect with classes to record audio presentations.  Yr11 did some brilliant analysis of what The Fresh Prince of Bel Air has to say about civil rights, Yr 7 told some great versions of the Robin Hood legends and Yr 8 were hilarious reporting on the Shocking State of the English Church in 1540.  Recording on the iPhone was really quick and easy and helped to focus the kids and led to them raising their game.  Have a listen at http://audioboo.fm/JohnGolding

3.  Learn names quickly  - OK so not so good but probably not a few more than normally at this stage of the year

4.  Be more organised -  surprisingly yes.  My classroom -and desk- are still tidy, my folder is up to date and a couple of cool apps have really helped - Evernote has made virtually paperless in all meetings and AwesomeNote is brilliant

5.  Provide better feedback  - following OFSTED our school has been told to do more marking and provide better feedback but I wanted to do more myself anyway.  I have certainly marked far more often and more rigorously.  We have gone back to weekly homeworks and as I was one of the people pushing for that I did feel that I had to make sure I was marking it all.  The truth is that marking regularly does become easier - there is less to do each week and it does help you to get to know the kids you teach better.  It does allow you to get a glimpse into how they are thinking and whether any of the stuff you have been doing in lessons has worked.  Mind you - still marking at 9.30 at night is not fun

6.  Keep positive - been tested a few times but generally I feel much happier.  I have now realised that I am genuinely happy as a classroom teacher and that I honestly don't want to be anything else.  Yes some of the crazy decisions SLT make drive me mad and our school seems to love creating more bureaucracy - but I am trying to rise above it

7.  Take risks  - as always no problem.  Big find this term has been Learning Journeys - best idea I have come across in years

8.  And finally...blog  - and again yes - every fortnight and had a great response on Twitter and Google + from the last one

So I am really pleased so far.  Determined to have a good rest this week, recharge the batteries and get ready for next half-term.  I always think this is where the real work starts.  The groups have settled down, we have started to get used to each other and now we can focus on some great learning.

Have a brilliant half-term everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment